Monday 9 June 2014

a open letter of a friend to his wife : wonderful .


hariH om.
In what is arguably the most important event in one's life, marriage legitimizes, consummates- and as the case ought to be- strengthens the bond of two people who have resolved to spend a life in togetherness. This decision, being a weighty one, makes it imperative to choose wisely. A wrong choice can spell disaster; the right one can set you free. It is with utmost gratitude that I can lay claim to the latter. There are not many ways to express this feeling of tha...nkfulness, but I hope to capture some of it through this open letter to my wife, Unnati.
----------------------
My Dearest Unnati,

I vividly recall our first encounter- that fateful Friday evening on the 10th of January, when you arrived home with your folks, with the mutual intention of exploring the possibilities of striking an alliance between our families. At that point I was quite familiar with the process, and knew what to (and what not to) expect from it. As with anyone else who lives a purposeful life, I had a reasonable set of expectations from my partner-to-be. Not only did you meet them all, but you also forever raised the bar for me.
It was on that very day that we decided to formally move forward with our 'Gol Dhānā' and Engagement Ceremony, which was to be held the following week. Needless to say, notwithstanding the appearance of our expedited commitment, the decision was a thoroughly well-considered one on both our parts, and it continues to reward us till date. In the days that preceded our engagement, I was overjoyed to find confirmation of all that I envisaged about you, as it manifested slowly before me. There were moments when I felt this was too good to be true, there had to be a catch- experience had conditioned me to expect one- but there was none. If seeing is believing, I liked what I saw- and heard. The next two weeks that followed painted a much clearer picture of who you were as a person. We grew in closeness as we did in our appreciation of one another. Before we knew it, the time had come for me to return back to the US.
As a blessing, the next 4 months hurriedly rushed past us in the blink of an eye, and I found myself standing before you once again. The fantastic panoply of events that led up to our wedding and a bout of viral fever did not afford us much time together, but we more than made up for it during our honeymoon, and that is when I saw the full extent of the greatness and magnanimity of your being.
Unnati, I discovered that you are an incredible person with an enormous capacity to love and care. You are sweet, kind, mature, responsible, well grounded, and free from all complexes, complexities and internal strife- as evidenced by your stellar upbringing. You roam like a free-spirited being, yet your gait is not directionless. You are intelligent and at the same time humble. Knowledgeable, yet aware of how much more there is to know. You have compassion for your fellow human beings, as reflected in your choices. You believe in growth, not stagnation; in understanding, not conflict, and in living, as opposed to dragging on. Just as myself, you know that growth and upward motion are the defining characteristics of any human pursuit. In every which way I glimpse at you, I see a complete person who knows how to lead a fully informed and meaningful life. and in your wake, I find myself becoming a better, more responsible person, imbibing some of your nicer qualities. If this isn't growth, I don't know what is. May it always continue this way, unabated. Thank you for entering for my life. Thanks- simply for being you. May the cooling drops of Bhagavān’s kr̥pā continue to rain down upon our larger family.
hariH om. Jai Shri Krishna.

No comments:

Post a Comment